Incontinence Care Guide
1 in 3 women and 1 in 7 men will experience a form of incontinence at some stage in their lives.
It can cause inconvenience or embarrassment whilst playing sport, sneezing or even when you laugh. For women, key times are after childbirth or during the menopause. About 6 million people in the UK are affected by incontinence at any one time so you are certainly not alone. All types of incontinence can be managed and some can be alleviated with medical assistance.
How can Ableworld help you with continence care?
At Ableworld we provide a complete range of products to help you manage all types of incontinence such as:
- Modern and stylish briefs
- Continence pads for men and women
- Accessories that help you cope with everyday problems caused by incontinence
All our incontinence products have been carefully selected for our customers. We work closely with our supplier Arelle, a company with over 20 years’ experience helping people affected by incontinence to ensure we offer a full range of products.
You can be sure that all items in our Continence Care range are of high quality and will aim to fulfil all customer needs. Our selection of products include:
Disposable Pads and Briefs
Disposable pads are highly absorbent and suitable for both men and women. We have different sizes of pads, including pull-up pants or standard long pads with wings.
Washable briefs provide a comfortable and dignified solution. Made from fine cotton/lycra with high quality elastic and trimmings and are machine or hand washable. Suitable for both men and women. Our briefs are washable and therefore better for the environment.
Briefs to use with pads
Stretch Briefs or Waterproof Briefs to hold pads in place and make them more effective. Suitable for both men and women.
Bed and Seat Pads
A variety of washable and disposable solutions to provide protection for beds and seats. These include bed pads, seat pads and waterproof mattress protectors.
Choosing Continence Care Products
If you experience incontinence there is a bewildering number of products available to help you. We know that choosing the right product can be difficult. That is why we only stock quality products that really help.
How can we help you?
In all of our stores we have trained staff who are able to advise on the continence products we sell. We can provide you with samples in store, for you to take home and try to see if it is suitable for your needs.
Our products are designed to cover all levels of incontinence, from light to heavy. Take a look at the products we recommend for each stage of incontinence.
- Delta-San No6 Incontinence Pad
- Delta-San No7 Incontinence Pad
- Abri Flex Incontinence Pants
- Delta Form Low Incontinence Pants
Other things to consider:
- Obtain advice. If you have been assessed by a nurse then he/she can advise you. If you already use an incontinence product then we can often provide an equivalent.
- The absorbency of products. Figures for absorbency are derived from standard laboratory tests which will tell you if one pad absorbs more than another. An adult bladder usually holds about 550ml (a pint). Most people feel the need to empty their bladder when it is about half full so the amount of urine excreted at one time is about a cupful. Most pads are easily able to hold several times the volume of urine likely to be excreted at one time.
- How many? If you are using more than 6 pads a day you should consider using a product with a greater absorbency.
- What about for at night? For a more comfortable night’s sleep a higher absorbency pad may be useful. We also sell waterproof mattress covers that are ideal for increased protection at night time.
- If at first you don’t succeed. The first incontinence product that you try may not always be the one design that is suitable for purpose. It may require another model or size to satisfy your personal needs. Do not worry- we can provide samples in store so you can find the best product for you.
- Other products to help. If you feel like you are not gaining full satisfaction then there are other products to consider. Our commodes or portable urinals may be an option to think about, or our bed pads and waterproof mattress protectors.
Please do not hesitate to get in touch with your local Ableworld store for any continence care queries. Our team are trained and will more than happily talk through and show you our range.